Thursday, September 16, 2010

nucoa

Last week's success with 'Giant Bakery Style Double Chocolate Chip Cookies' got me into a baking mood. I found some other recipes from 'The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur' that I would love to try!

So, I put margarine on my grocery list and went to Fred Mayer yesterday. I grabbed a box of margarine from the shelf and started to read the back of the box just to make sure margarine doesn't have any dairy like I thought it didn't. Of course it doesn't, it's made out of vegetable oil, dummy! But you know what, I'm glad I read the label. Most of the products marked as margarine contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil... Remember that nasty stuff I talked about in my 'An aroma of popcorn...' article? No wonder it is so cheap! One box of margarine was somewhere between $0.79 and $0.99. I guess you get what you pay for, right? I kept checking out other butter-like products for baking and found 'nucoa'. (This is a different product from 'nucoa margarine'.)


This one says on the box "Non-Hydrogenated", "0g Trans Fat" and "Great for cooking and baking". Sounds perfect! Until I learn that something in it is actually not good for us, this one will be my choice. It was $1.39 per box. It's a little more than margarine, but not too expensive. I don't know how it tastes by itself, but I'm buying it for baking, so it really doesn't matter so much. And the cookies I baked with this came out pretty nice and buttery!

No comments:

Post a Comment