Saturday, August 14, 2010

An aroma of popcorn...

Last night, we decided to watch "The Blind Side" on DVD. It was an excellent movie by the way... Since we have a Japanese exchange student staying with us this summer, we thought it was fun to fix some microwave popcorn and have some twizzlers. An American experience, right?

I had a few packages of popcorn left from my pre-vegan-era in my pantry. It says "unbelievable butter" on the box. Okay, I'll just microwave one package for my husband and student. I've forgotten how nice popcorn smells.... (*_*)  I had to try one. Hmmum.... Now I need to try some more and maybe a little more. It was a losing battle.. Sigh.

This morning, I thought I should read the label on the box and I did. The ingredients are; Whole grain popcorn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, natural & artificial flavors, color added. No butter? Really? It also says that it contains soy and milk ingredients. So, these must be a part of the unspecified "natural & artificial flavors. And the buttery feeling must be from hydrogenated soybean oil.

Now, I had to google "partially hydrogenated soybean oil". It's basically a cheap substitute for butter that the food company uses to give a richer flavor. It's a processed oil that has gone through Hydrogenation, which is the process of heating oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. Hydrogenated oils are high in trans fat, which affects our metabolic processes. Also, saturated fat and trans fat both raise “bad cholesterol,” while trans fat has a 'bonus'  effect of also lowering “good cholesterol.” Better yet, it's made of soybean oil. It depresses the thyroid, which lowers your energy levels.

Yikes! I have learned so much from my mistake last night. I guess it wasn't a complete losing battle then.

2 comments:

  1. After trying microwave popcorn I was disgusted by the film and aftertaste that was left in my mouth shortly after eating it. I recently decided to revert back to my childhood and make popcorn like mom used to make on the stovetop in a large pot with just a little oil. I am now able to make a large pot of popcorn that can be topped to order and shared by vegan and carnivorous friends alike. If you are not into butter...you can just throw some seasoning salt on it or cook it in flavored oil. A little bit of garlic salt is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have on old fashioned stove top popcorn popper that I receive as a Christmas gift few years ago. I have to try your garlic salt idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete