Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tortilla Soup - Vegan

Here's the recipe I promised yesterday. I usually make this soup whenever I make some Vegetable Broth. It's a money-saver and I love killing two birds with one stone... well figuratively speaking... I will post an original recipe from 'Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food', then I will write about how I incorporate the remaining vegetables from yesterday's Vegetable Broth.


(Sorry about this marginal photo.. I realized I forgot to take a picture half way through dinner. I will update with a better picture next time I make it.. if I remember...)

What goes in your body (4 vegan servings ):
  • One 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup plain soy milk or oat milk
  • 3 cups vegetable stock
  • One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
  • 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, torn
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • Tortilla chips, crushed
You are going to:
  1. Whisk the tomato paste with the soy milk in a medium stockpot until completely combined.
  2. Add the stock, tomatoes with juice, chipotle peppers, onions, celery, corn, garlic, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. 
  4. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with crushed tortilla chips, cilantro and avocado.
Secrets from the chef:
  • In order to incorporate cooked vegetables from yesterday's Vegetable Broth recipe, replace onions and celery with 2 cups of cooked vegetables.
  • Serve with sour cream for your non-vegan friend. 
Bon appétit!   

No comments:

Post a Comment