Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Charlie's Dog House

Last weekend I went to the art fair at Alki Beach in West Seattle.

Prior to that, I was in Luther Burbank Park on Mercer Island for a fund-raising event all morning. There was a BBQ. Sadly, there was nothing I could really eat on the menu. This kind of situation makes you want to give up on your healthy eating habit if you are not prepared. Going into an event like this, I knew that my choices would be close to zero, I brought my own food. Nothing fancy. Just some fruits and nuts in my purse. They weren't quite a meal but kept me from being hungry till I would have more options later. I knew I was going to Alki Beach later and find a good seafood place.

As I walk through the alleys of artists' booths, I was getting hungry. There are a lot of restaurants on the other side of Alki Ave. Choices, choices. Then I saw this hot dog stand. Veggie Dogs? Hmmm..., curious. I didn't expect to find a hot dog stand with veggie option. Well, I guess I live in Seattle after all.


They offer apple sage (mild) and mexican chipotle (spicy) for veggie dogs. Both sound pretty good. I chose mexican because I was in a mood for a spicy food. And my rule of thumb for choosing vegetarian or vegan option is to go with more flavor and spice. Chomp, chomp...,wow that was spicy. My comfortable spice level is usually around 3 (out of 5) stars. This was slightly over my comfortable spiciness.


Vegan or vegetarian meat substitutes are not my favorite food because I need to avoid eating too much soy. But I was very happy to know that I actually have an option for this kind of outdoor setting. Maybe, next time when you cater foods for your outdoor events, consider someone like Charlies' Dog House? They also offer gluten free buns and Kosher dogs as well. Looks like they show up around the Safeco Field for the Mariner's games. Super!

No comments:

Post a Comment