Thursday, October 7, 2010

Grater/Zester

I've been cooking dinner almost everyday for my family for nearly 10 years and I finally invested in a quality grater/zester this year as I was switching my diet to nearly vegan. You may laugh at me for not having a grater/zester... I had a box grater which I mainly used to grate and slice cheese. I never enjoyed grating cheese though... Now, check it out! This is the one I use.


I know, I know, I'm being silly for getting excited about a grater. But this really changed my cooking experience! I can add lemon and lime zest as a finishing touch. I can easily add flavor to my dishes by simply grating a ginger root. And my favorite way of using this tool is to grate garlic! It's much faster than mincing and you get more flavor out of the garlic. Well, it has less texture compared with minced garlic, but it's perfect for adding an extra garlic kick towards the end of meal preparation. You can also add some grated garlic into soup, when you feel like something is missing...

This tool is something you apply force to, so you don't want to get a flimsy one. I generally avoid ones with rubber or plastic handles for my cooking gadgets, but that's just my thing, I guess... It may seem a little pricey, but I suggest investing in a sturdy one if you haven't had one yet.

 

2 comments: