Monday, September 27, 2010

Crispy Napa Cabbage Salad - Vegan

After a pretty good experience from my first order, I decided to continue on the 'Farm To You', organic produce delivery service by Full Circle Farm, at least for now. This week's order contained a head of napa cabbage. I don't think it's really a staple vegetable here in the U.S., but I grew up eating it all the time in Japan. My mom used to cook them in a hotpot or soup and she also made a pickled cabbage with it too. But I had a hunch that my husband wouldn't like any of those. After getting some ideas from online recipes, I decided to make a salad because I realized that I never had a raw napa cabbage. I went Asian-style in honor of this Asian vegetable.



What goes in your body (4 vegan servings):

  • 1 head napa cabbage
  • 1 bunch green onion
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 1/2 cup white suger
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 package of crispy chow mein
  • 2 tbsp sesame seeds
  •  1 cup silvered almonds

You are going to:
  1. In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, vegetable oil, sesame oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool. 
  2. Thinly slice (or shred) napa cabbage and green onion. 
  3. Combine vegetables, sesame seeds, almonds and chow mein in a large bowl.
  4. Pour the dressing into vegetable mix and serve immediately.

Secrets from the chef:
  • Crunchy chow mein can be found at the oriental food section in a regular grocery store. If you can't find them, break ramen noodles into smaller pieces as a substitute.
  • Dressing doesn't have to be cold, but not hot. It actually seasons the vegetable better if it's still a little warm. 
  • Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment