Monday, August 30, 2010

Zucchini Bread - Vegan

Last week we got some beets from our friend and I made a "Beet Rissoto (vegan)", which was outside of my cooking repertoire. This week we got some zucchini from the same friend and I decided to bake a "Zucchini Bread (vegan)".


I'm not much of a baker, I don't bake that often. But the zucchini must be eaten and they are not exactly my husband's favorite. Getting fresh vegetables unexpectedly pushes me out of my comfort zone for cooking and that's why I like getting free vegetables from our friends' gardens, besides the fact that they are locally grown and fresh.

 

What goes in your body (vegan) :
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 & 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1 banana mushed
  • 1/4 cup maple sysrup
  • 1 tbsp canola or safflower oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp brandy
  • 1/2 cup pecan, chopped and roasted
You are going to:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon together.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients, except pecans, in a separate bowl until well combined.
  4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mix them together until evenly moistened. 
  5. Stir in pecans and spoon batter into the loaf pan.
  6. Bake on center rack of oven for 50-55 minutes.
Secrets from the chef:
  • If you are not a pure vegan, you can substitute maple syrup with honey. 
  • I like eating mine warm with 'butter' on it. 
  • I tweaked an existing recipe from the book. The original recipe can be found my recommended reading,  "Breaking the Food Seduction".
 Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment