Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Creative Gardening

A few weeks ago, I was walking through a residential area in West Seattle and I saw this vegetable garden.

It was in front of the house, on the sidewalk where you typically see grass, shrubs or trees. I don't know if that little patch belongs to a homeowner or it's public property, but I thought it was an interesting idea. I also wondered if anyone comes and steals vegetables from them.

I am fortunate to have a backyard to create a small vegetable garden where I can grow some herbs and my favorite vegetables such as tomatoes, eggplants, french green beans, etc. You probably noticed that I use a lot of fresh herbs in my cooking. You can always substitute them with dried ones, but I personally prefer fresh ones. Unfortunately, it's ridiculously expensive to buy fresh herbs at a store! That's why I started growing some at home. Even you live in an apartment or condo, I strongly recommend growing some herbs in pots. All you need are pots, decent soil, water and sun. Herbs grow like weeds, they are so hardy. I intentionally plant some herbs like mint, lemon balm and oregano in pots so that they won't take over my garden. Just make sure that you place your herb pots in the sunniest place in/around your house.

I will probably buy an AeroGarden if I move to a place where I don't have enough space to plant or a place with a bigger kitchen and a lot of counter-top space. It's a little pricey, but I'm sure I ended up saving more money than if I kept buying over-priced herbs from a store.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment