Monday, August 2, 2010

Frozen Okra - Vegan

Since the main ingredient from yesterday's recipe was okra, let me talk more about this wonderful vegetable. Okra is such an underrated vegetable around here...Growing up in Japan, I remember eating it quite a bit. I didn't like it as a kid because of the tiny peach-like fuzz on the skin. I thought it was kind of creepy...

Now, whenever I see fresh okra at the farmers market, I get very excited! But that opportunity is too few and far between. For most recipes I use frozen okra. There are some recipes I insist on using fresh ones though. This 12oz bag of frozen okra is $1.49 from the Fred Meyer. Last time when they were on sale for less than a dollar par bag, I stocked them up in my freezer. It's Kroger brand, I'm sure you can find it at other grocery stores as well.



My mom used to tell me that slimy food is good for keeping your blood clean. I really don't know what she meant by that. But Okra is High in Dietary Fiber, contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Manganese, Protein, Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Zinc and Copper.

Sounds pretty good for the body, huh?

By the way, I found this dehydrated okra at a grocery store in Charlotte, NC. They were so yummy!! I haven't seen them around here in Seattle.


Does anyone know where I can buy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment