Friday, July 30, 2010

Anti...Veg..., what?

You may be wondering, "What is Antidisestablishment Vegetarianism?"

As I ventured into this new way of eating, I faced a dilemma. I quickly learned that I can't use most vegetarian recipes or products. What is labeled as "vegetarian" often uses dairy products which contain a lot of animal fat. So, I started to look into "vegan" diet. I learned that "veganism" is not just about avoiding to eat animal products. It's a way of life. After learning much about "veganism", it was pretty clear to me that it was a bit further than I was willing to go. I'm not denying the possibility that I may become vegan one day, but not now.

I thought about calling myself a "flexible vegan." Then I learned that it's kind of offensive to real vegans. You are either vegan or you are not. I decided not call myself "vegan" in any form. I respect people who can adhere to pure veganism. But honestly..., some of the stuff I read from "vegan" sources are a bit extreme and a turn-off for me. I'm going to lose my mind and maybe some of my friends if I go that far.

Eating healthy and taking good care of myself is very important to me. But it will never be the number one priority in my life. I do think the "all or nothing" approach to healthy diet is kind of unhealthy. Healthy eating should be approachable and attainable. It is not any kind of sacred act. It shouldn't be separated from regular folks like us with average income and busy life.

"Antidisestablishment Vegetarianism" is a made up phrase which I define as; healthy eating without all the fanaticism. It's my way of saying, "I know you can do this! You just need a little room to be flexible." What you actually let yourself eat is probably different from one person to the other. That's the beauty of it. We are all different and that makes the world more interesting place.

I started this blog in the hope that someone else may benefit from my experience. I hope you'll come back again.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment