Thursday, July 29, 2010

How it all began

Three months had passed and my appointment day had come. I had too many doctor's appointments in the past. Some good, some not so good. They always make me nervous. Am I going to get a good news or bad news?

My voodoo doctor (that's what I call her anyway) spent about an hour with me asking about my past and current issues, taking a lot of notes and doing some exams. She ordered several tests for me and asked me to come back in 3 weeks or so when all the results were in. Okay, that wasn't bad at all. Nothing painful. Nothing uncomfortable.

Three weeks later, I was back in her office. She explained to me the results from the tests and what seemed to be the root cause of some of my issues. And she told me,

"Well, you shouldn't be eating any meat. Switch to a vegetarian diet."

I could not believe what I was hearing. Then she said as she went over more results,

"Hmmm, you really shouldn't be eating any animal fat. It's toxic for you. You need to eat a Vegan diet. No eggs, no milk, no cheese, no dairy."

I think I heard Beethoven's Symphony 5 in my head at this point. My heart rate went up a bit.

"You can still eat fish for your protein, but not too much soy."

I probably gave her a stunned deer in the headlight look... She said,

"Try for a month and come back and tell me if you feel any differently."


This is how it all began. I convinced myself that I can do this for a month. I was secretly hoping that she'll let me get back on eating some of the stuff after a month. Most of my friends' food restrictions have been lifted as soon as their issue had resolved, unless it's the case of severe allergy.

It didn't take me long time to realize that the change I made was worth keeping. I experienced significant change in my energy level in a week or so. (Check my previous post for more detail.) Within few more weeks, my skin got really nice and soft. And friends who see me regularly started asking me, "What have you been doing? You look great." I used to have really dry flaky skin. My weight hasn't changed but my pants feels loose. As I write this post, it has been almost three months since I started my new diet. I feel so much healthier not only physically but emotionally as well. I feel whole.

My experience is not uncommon. I read so many people experience the same sort of thing as they give up eating animal products. Increased energy level, better skin, weight loss, better digestive system, lower cholesterol, etc. I realized that this is probably the easiest, the most simple and inexpensive way to the better health. A lot of people actually have much more strict guideline for their diet. My approach is pretty laid back, hence I decided to call it "Antidisestablishment Vegetarianism." (I'll explain more on my next post.)

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment