Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kale Chips - Vegan

Kale is one of my favorite vegetables. I like its flavor and the fact that it doesn't get soggy like spinach when cooked. My friend sent me a link to a recipe for 'kale chips'. I was intrigued... chips from leafy green veggie? I had to try. They were very crispy and delicious! Needless to say, I ate a entire bunch of kale in one sitting... it's all good, right?

What goes in your body (vegan) :
  • 4 cups kale (1 large bunch)
  • 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
You are going to:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Wash kale, remove stem, and slice into manageable-size pieces.
  3. Toss pieces in a bowl with olive oil until coated, then arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.

  4. Roast for 5 minutes, then turn carefully with metal tongs and roast another 7 to 10 minutes until kale begins turning brown, crisp and brittle.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt.
Secrets from the chef:
  • The original recipe and other great information about kale can be found on 'Experience Life'. 
  • Once you turn them, check frequently so that they don't get overcooked. You want them to be just crispy enough. I used fairly young kale from my garden and the cooking time was much shorter than the recipe above.
  • I found it very difficult to grab kale with my metal tongs without tearing them. It was much easier to use a pair of chopsticks for this job. 
Bon appétit! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment