Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Produce Saver

I saw these "Rubbermaid Produce Saver Food Storage Containers" at a local grocery store several years ago. It got me interested enough to investigate more into them. I'm the kind of person who has to read reviews before buying anything. This was getting a lot of 5 star reviews at amazon.com. It looked promising. A part of the reason I needed something to keep my vegetables fresh longer was because my old refrigerator wasn't doing a good job, which I ended up replacing about a year ago. 

I bought a set of three, 2-cup, 5-cup and 14-cup sizes. I don't remember how much I paid back then. They turned out to be super handy! Especially now that I buy more vegetables, overflow items from my refrigerator's produce drawer can go in these. But even before I changed my diet, I saved a lot of money by not wasting produce I bought. It has vent in the lid which allows oxygen to circulate around the produce. It also has a tray inside to keep the produce elevated about a 1/2 inch away from moisture at the bottom. I know that the sooner from the harvest the better nutritional value you get from fruits and vegetables. Come on, I have a job. I can only go to the farmers market once a week! If you buy from the grocery store, you won't know how far and long it has been from the harvest anyways. The point is to keep them fresh while they await to be eaten by you.

It works extremely well with berries and leafy greens. A 2-cup one is perfect size for one pint of blueberries and a 5-cup one is a good size for 1lb of strawberries. You can fit a regular size head of lettuce comfortably in a 14-cup one. I also use a 2-cup one for keeping things like ginger and herbs. I don't remember ever using my entire ginger for a single recipe. 
I included some links to amazon.com. I didn't write this post for advertising purposes, I really love this product. But if you decided to give it a try, please use following links. By blog will benefit from your purchase. There are other varieties of this type of container. Since I don't own the other kinds, I don't know if one is better than the other. I hope this will save your produce and some $.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment