Thursday, August 12, 2010

I know it tastes good

There are many different reasons why some of us give up eating meat completely. Religious reasons, beliefs against animal cruelty, efforts to live eco-friendly, trying to lose weight, etc. I did it for health reasons. (If you are interested in my story, you can find it under "About Antidisestablishment Vegetarianism" section of my blog). Long story short, I did it because my doctor told me to. But I knew someone-told-me-so would only get me going, not keep me going for the long run. I'm the kind of person who has to know 'why' in anything I do. So, why not share what I've learned here in my blog?

The truth is... meat tastes good. The question is.... at what cost? The truth is... meat is a good source of nutrition. The question is.... are the benefits greater than the potential problems? Here's some food for thought... (It's chewy like an overcooked steak.)
  • Meat is high in saturated fat, which elevates your blood cholesterol. Cholesterol clogs your arteries and clogged arteries lead to high blood pressure, a stroke or heart attack. 
  •  Dioxin is one of the most toxic chemicals and recognized as a human carcinogen. It is estimated that 93% of our exposure to dioxin comes through eating animal products.
  • When you eat meat, your blood becomes acidic. In order to balance all the acidity, your bones come to the rescue by releasing some of their minerals, which leads to weaker bones. 
  • 70% of the antibiotics sold in the United States go to livestock. 
  • The hormones used to promote growth in livestock get passed on to us. The excess hormones have been linked to breast and prostate cancer. 
  • The inside of a slaughterhouse is not as clean as you would hope, which results bacteria contamination  in meat and poultry. 
I didn't include too much detail. We all have an access to Google for more information. After learning about some of the facts, you may consider cutting back meat consumption or choosing organically/naturally raised options (unfortunately those are much more expensive). I think that less is more even if you don't give up completely. Although, you probably won't feel drastically different in your health and energy like I did. I went completely cold turkey (sounds kinda funny!) Gradual transition may work better for some of us. There's no right and wrong in what we eat, it's just some foods are better than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment